Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Citability Codeathon in DC
Friday, April 9, 2010 at 7:00 PM - Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM (EDT)
Chevy Chase, MD
Ensuring the government keeps up as the world goes digital
Citability.org and the dcodeathon.com are compatible League of Technical voters project aimed at improving government accessibility and accountability. We want to ensure all online information is readily available and easily referenced. By using advanced permalinks as citations, users can point to specific parts of government documents. Permalinks allow for stable, long-term reference points to documents, prohibiting deletion of important information, and allowing for a better flow of information online.
Our goal is to create open source tools to allow any government entity to easily become citable on the internet. But to do that, we'll need your help!
At our Codeathon, you'll write and develop the tools necessary to bring this project to fruition, and then have the opportunity to showcase those tools to government members.
What is a codeathon?
It is a weekend long event where we work together to create and finish open source projects to solve a problem. It's free! And food, drinks and entertainment will be provided.
How does this work?
1) We recruit programmers from various platforms to create a citation tool in their framework
2) We work together to make sure our tools are interoperable with other platforms
3) We gather for a weekend to finish up and showcase our projects
All projects must be open source, universal and for a non-profit organization. For more information, check out
or watch the video
Why get involved?
We want to create citability tools that everyone can use. With a wide range of project options, there's something fun and challenging available for everyone!
Project options include:
- Easy to use plugin/modules for major open source platforms, such as Drupal, WordPress, and Mediawiki, dotnetnuke
- Toolsets in Django, asp.net and others
- Interoperable, clonable archive server tools such as OGDI, Ubuntu Cloud,Azure, Sharepoint and EC2
We strongly encourage participants to visit our online wiki at http://dccodeathon.pbworks.com/Project ahead of time, choose a project and start designing. When it's Codeathon weekend, we'll only have time left for coding!
- Friday, April 9th - 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. - Librarians of the 21st
- Teams may also use Friday evening to finalize design work.
- Saturday, April 10th - 8 a.m., through Sunday, Feb. 28th at 4 p.m. - Brainstorming, coding and designing.
- Sunday, April 11th - 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. - Show off a little! We'll have opportunities for you to demonstrate your project in front of top govt agencies and we'll record the demonstrations and post them online.
When & Where
League of Technical Voters